*** PROGRAM UPDATE September 3, 2013
The U of T GEI Program is a one-time Federal Government program partnership that has been in operation since February 2012 and will now be wrapping up. We have successfully fulfilled our commitment and are no longer accepting internship opportunities nor placing new interns. We wish to thank our industry partners for their unwavering support in providing internship opportunities for our graduates. And to our graduates, we wish you continued success as you continue to chart your career journey.
University of Toronto received funding from the Federal Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario) to launch a new initiative, the Graduate Enterprise Internship (GEI) Program.
The GEI is a six month paid internship program for students in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) programs who graduated within the last five years and Master’s students, PhD and Post Docs that are currently enrolled in a graduate program or graduated within the last five years.
The GEI program will equip Southern Ontario to meet future labour market needs by providing business and management experience to recent graduates and graduate students of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) programs. The initiative will develop the next generation of leaders in business and innovation. It will encourage private sector business leaders to pass on their knowledge and business skills to individuals pursuing STEM studies and careers in southern Ontario.
- Up to $10,000 – Intern with a Bachelor’s/Advanced Degree in the STEM sector (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
- Up to $15,000 – Intern with a Master’s/PhD/Post-Doc Degree OR Enrolled in a Master’s/PhD Program STEM sector (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
- The employer must contribute a minimum of 50 percent of the intern’s salary and benefits.
The GEI Program will be operating from January 2012 – March 2014. This also means the last date to begin an internship for a 6month period, is October 1, 2013.
- The GEI 6month internship term must occur between January 2012 and March 2014.
- The recruitment and hiring process must occur during the same period, between January 2012 and March 2014.
- This also means the last date to begin an internship for a 6month period, is October 1, 2013.
Interns – Upcoming Information Sessions:
Please view the Events Calendar for the list of upcoming sessions. Continue to check the calendar as we will be adding new sessions throughout the month of May. You only need to attend one session. Registration is not required. Just drop in.
In preparation for your participation in the program, we strongly encourage you to attend one of the upcoming information sessions. You will learn more about the program, the commitments and expectations, the development opportunities available to you and to help you determine if this program is the right fit.
This session is for those who have already registered in the GEI program and those who wish to learn more about the program. We thank everyone who has already shown their interest by enrolling in the program, and we look forward to working with you.
With the support of the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario